Wednesday 9 March 2016

Gilea Wafer (Malta) - Maltese Footballers




1930s
Maltese Footballers
Gilea Wafer
Malta
44 cards

Allan sent a scan of this card, it's the first one I've seen from this collection and I only have one card listed in my database. The cards are quite small. measuring 70mm x 22mm. I don't know what the series title is so I've just labelled it as 'Maltese Footballers'. If anyone can supply further information about this set, please get in touch.
UPDATE (11-06-2023) 11:51:  I have added the image of the George Bond card, who played for Millwall and Gillingham before emigrating to Malta where he played for Floriana FC. I am not sure if it is part of the same series of whether it should be listed separately.

2.  Marat
5.  Vickers
6.  Andrews
9.  Bond (Floriana) - Lion Wafer
10.  Krcil
24.  Bencini  -  added 03-06-2018
26.  Galea
37.  DeBattista  -  added 03-06-2018
38.  Sipocz (St. George's)
44.  Mifsud
??.  Frimmel
??.  Walker
??.  Tony Nicholl (Sliema Wanderers)

7 comments:

  1. I have two of these in my collection "Bencini" #24 and "DeBattista" #37. Of note, the cards are often reported as "Cilea" Wafers but this is incorrect. The manufacturer was actually "Gilea" but the "G" on the card could easily be mistaken for a "C." This, coupled with the age and low print run makes finding information on them almost impossible. The Nichols would be the key card to grab in this set (if it even exist) although I've never seen one put up for sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      Thank you for leaving a comment on this collection. It's really hard trying to find out which cards are in the collection but at least I can add the two you mention.

      Kind regards,

      Alan

      Delete
  2. Hi Alan, if you send me a friend request on Facebook I will send you some scans I have from this set,

    kind regards
    Norman Mifsud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Norman,

      Thanks for your comment. I'm not very good with social media. You can always e-mail me: alanjenkins1899@gmail.com

      Kind regards,

      Alan

      Delete
  3. I have 13 cards of which 12 are different the only card i have that is not on your list
    is Pisani if you want to see a scan e-mail me at mimijosh@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment, I'll be in touch later today.

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking for any Malta cigarette and trade cards available for sale vnmifsud@gmail.com 0035699442123

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment, though it will not appear straight away, as I will need to authorize it.