Thursday 28 December 2023

Unknown issuer - Footballer Kartenbrief/Letter-card


1906
Footballer Kartenbrief/Letter-card
Unknown issuer
1 postcard

An unusual letter-card that was widely available in the early years of the 20th Century, as shown by all the languages used on the front of the card. This one was written in Oakland, California on 1 November, 1906. I have cheated a little as I only have a partial image of the postal address section for this card. Instead of showing that I managed to track down another version posted in the United Kingdom in 1905, but the inside of this card was not photographed very well. so I've used the inside of one card and the outside of another version of the same card.
The sender would write a message on the inside, three sides were adhesive and needed to be moistened so that the letter-card could be sealed. The recipient needed to tear along the perforations on the three sides of the card to be able to open it and read the message inside. The ball is a 3D paper pop up that reminds me of Christmas decorations we used to hang from the ceiling when I was a child. When Christmas was over they could be taken down and folded flat for storing until the following Christmas.

Footballer - Jersey with a Red Sash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, though it will not appear straight away, as I will need to authorize it.