Wednesday, 28 December 2016
Cadet Sweets - (CAD-605/CAF-10-1) Footballers (1960)
This set of cards has just been identified as a set in it's own right and an entry has been made in the Cartophilic Society of Great Britain handbook.
Roger Long has been responsible for identifying the existence of this set of cards. I'll let him explain:
For the last 50 years collectors like myself believe there were only 3 sets of Cadet football cards issued. In 1957, 1958 and 1959, at the age of 12, 13 and 14 years old, I collected all 3 sets of cards. The portraits in the first set were totally different to those in the next two sets. The portraits for the sets issued in 1958 and 1959 were the same, but the backs had different designs. The 1958 set had the version where the title appears 28mm long and the backs were inverted (turn the card around and the backs are upside down) (see the first pair of cards shown above). The 1959 set had the title 19mm long, the backs were now the right way around but was a smaller design with a large white border (see the second pair of cards shown above).
In August 2014 I saw a set of Cadet cards being offered on eBay. I messaged the seller asking what size print was on the reverse of the cards. He must have thought 'I had a screw loose', because I did this three times. He informed me that the title was 28mm but the backs were NOT INVERTED. I thought he may be mistaken but I decided to bid for the cards, which I did and purchased them for just under £12. They came wrapped in cellophane like they had come direct from the factory of the manufacturer. It crossed my mind at that time perhaps the manufacturers did a TEST SET and then decided that because they had already issued 2 sets with the same portraits that the public would not be interested in buying a third set of cards, exactly the same, apart from the text on the back of the card and made the decision not to go ahead with the 1960 set. Only the future will tell if other cards or sets turn up!
I contacted Vernon Young at the Cartophilic Society of Great Britain and he suggested that this new set of cards was issued in 1960. For 50 odd years no one knew of this set, as it was believed only the 1958 and 1959 sets had been issued. I certainly cannot recall it being issued when I was 15 years old. If it was issued in 1960 it certainly wasn't sold in my home town of North Tawton in Devon. I did ask the seller where he obtained this set of cards and he advised me that he bought a job lot box at auction and they were part of this lot.
I am trying to ascertain what if any, value this set of cards may have. Am I holding the only set of these cards issued? If this is the case, what is their value? Has anyone come across these cards before? I would like to ask for anyone with a single card, a few odd cards or more importantly a whole 1960 set to contact me by e-mail (email@example.com) with a scan of such cards and more importantly when they first had these cards, particularly if they were collected in 1960 or around that year.
UPDATE (17-05-2017 19:28): Roger Long has received an e-mail and scans of seven cards from a gentleman named Rob. Roger has confirmed to Rob that these seven cards do in fact come from the Cadet 1960 set. In the above text Roger wrote that he thought this set could have been "a 'Test Set' never having been issued", though these seven cards seems to disprove that idea.
UPDATE (25-03-2018 10:33): Roger Long has now been shown proof of another complete set of the 1960 cards.
CAD-595 / CAF-10-1 Footballers (61 x 31mm - Title 28mm) - backs inverted - 1958
CAD-600 / CAF-10-1 Footballers (61 x 31mm - Title 19mm) - 1959
CAD-605 / CAF-10-1 Footballers (61 x 31mm - Title 28mm) - 1960
CAD-600 / CAF-10-1 Footballers - plain backs
CAD-600 / CAF-10-1 Footballers - proofs - red/blue missing - most jerseys yellow
1. Bobby Robson (West Bromwich and England)
2. Peter Broadbent (Wolves & England)
3. Peter McParland (Aston Villa and Ireland)
4. Billy Liddell (Liverpool & Scotland)
5. Ivor Allchurch (Newcastle and Wales)
6. Harry Gregg (Manchester United and Ireland)
7. Billy Foulkes (Manchester United & England)
8. Dennis Viollet (Manchester United & England)
9. Alf McMichael (Newcastle & Ireland)
10. George Eastham (Newcastle)
11. Tommy Thompson (Preston & England)
12. Leslie Smith (ex-Aston Villa)
13. Bill Perry (Blackpool & England)
14. Terry Medwin (Spurs & Wales)
15. Bill Slater (Wolves & England)
16. George Shaw (Sheffield United and England)
17. Willie Cunningham (Leicester & Ireland)
18. Dick Smith (Newcastle & Ireland)
19. Wilbur Cush (Portadown & Ireland)
20. Alan Finney (Sheffield Wednesday)
21. Billy Wright (Wolves & England)
22. Tommy Younger (Stoke & Scotland)
23. Tommy Banks (Bolton & England)
24. Bobby Mitchell (Newcastle & Scotland)
25. Bobby Charlton (Manchester United and England)
26. Mel Hopkins (Spurs & Wales)
27. John Hewie (Charlton & Scotland)
28. Jackie Mudie (Blackpool & Scotland)
29. Danny Blanchflower (Spurs & Ireland)
30. Alan Harrington (Cardiff & Wales)
31. Jimmy McIlroy (Burnley & Ireland)
32. Brian Clough (Middlesbrough and England)
33. Nat Lofthouse (Bolton & England)
34. Tom Finney (Preston & England)
35. Alan A'Court (Liverpool & England)
36. Jimmy Greaves (Chelsea & England)
37. Charlie Hurley (Sunderland & Eire)
38. Don Howe (West Bromwich & England)
39. Bryan Douglas (Blackburn & England)
40. Dave Bowen (Northampton and Wales)
41. Mel Charles (Arsenal & Wales)
42. Johnny Haynes (Fulham & England)
43. Bert Trautmann (Manchester City)
44. Stanley Matthews (Blackpool & England)
45. Eddie Hopkinson (Bolton & England)
46. Jack Kelsey (Arsenal & Wales)
47. Cliff Jones (Spurs & Wales)
48. Colin McDonald (Burnley & England)
49. Derek Kevan (West Bromwich & England)
50. Eddie Hopkinson (Bolton & England)
CAD-600 / CAF-10-1 Footballers - errors/varieties
5. Ivor Allchurch (Swansea Town) - 1958
5. Ivor Allchurch (Newcastle United) - First line "Ivor was transferred to..." - 1959
5. Ivor Allchurch (Newcastle United) - First line "It was in 1958 that..." - 1960
36. Jimmy Greaves (Chelsea)
36. Jimmy Greaves (Chelsea & England)
40. Dave Bowen (Northampton Town)
40. Dave Bowen (Arsenal)
41. Mel Charles (Arsenal)
41. Mel Charles (Swansea Town)
7. Bill Foulkes (Manchester United) - text ends "players"
7. Bill Foulkes (Manchester United) - text ends "…half"
8. Dennis Viollet (Manchester United) - text ends "…shot"
8. Dennis Viollet (Manchester United) - text ends "…side"
21. W. Wright (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
21. Billy Wright (Wolverhampton Wanderers) - 1960
29. D. Blanchflower (Tottenham Hotspur) - text ends "not his club"
29. D. Blanchflower (Tottenham Hotspur) - text ends "and his club"
30. A. Harrington (Cardiff City) - First line "Harrington is another of..." - 1958, 1959
30. Alan Harrington (Cardiff City) - First line "Local boy Harrington..." - 1960
45. Eddie Hopkinson (Bolton Wanderers) text ends "…season"
45. Eddie Hopkinson (Bolton Wanderers) text ends "…portrait"