Saturday, 3 October 2026

D. & J. MacDonald - (M8-2-?) Cricket & Football Teams (Large)


1902
(M8-2-?) Cricket & Football Teams (Large)
D. & J. MacDonald
2+ cards

Dave Riley recently added this Aston Villa card to his collection. It measures 95mm x 75mm and is the first card of this type I have ever come across. According to a website I checked, the team photo comes from 1897 with the First Division Championship Trophy taking pride of place.
When I looked at my e-mails again I noticed one from Carl Wilkes and he had sent me photos of a Hibernian card, from what looks like the same series. It's a shame that Carl's card has been badly cropped. Does any Hibs collector have a better version of this card?
The backs of the cards are similar but different. The Aston Villa card is a Winning Team Cigarettes type, perhaps the Hibernian card has a Tontine Cigarettes back.

(M8-2-?a) Cricket & Football Teams (Large - Winning Team Cigarettes)
(M8-2-?b) Cricket & Football Teams (Large - Tontine Cigarettes)

Aston Villa
Hibernian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, though it will not appear straight away, as I will need to authorize it.