Saturday 11 November 2023

Weekly Welcome - 'Lest We Forget' Cards - Series 1


1916
'Lest We Forget' Cards - Series 1
Weekly Welcome
? cards (1 football)

Corporal William Angus can be seen in a number of checklists on my blog. He received over 40 wounds during the action that earned him the Victoria Cross, but he survided. Before the war he started as a professional footballer with Carluke Rovers before moving to Celtic. He never played for their first team but did make two Scottish League appearances when on loan at Vale of Leven in 1912.

1.  Capt. Fryatt
2.  Gen. A. Brussiloff
3.  Boy Cornwell (John Travers Cornwell)
4.  Gen. Sir Douglas Haig, K.C.B.
5.  Nurse Edith Cavell
6.  
7.  Flight Sub-Lieut. R.A.J. Warneford, V.C.
8.  Gen. J.J.C. Joffre
9.  Commander Max K. Horton, D.S.O..
10.  Sir W.R. Birdwood
11.  Corpl. W. Angus, V.C.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, I live in Carluke and collect football cards and this is remarkable. I hope you don't mind that I've taken a screenshot and shared it with the local Carluke community Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for getting in touch. I thought today would be an ideal day to add that card and of course, I don't mind you sharing this post. Corporal Angus features on a few cards on my blog. If you type 'Angus' in the search box, I think all the post should appear.
      Kind regards,
      Alan

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment, though it will not appear straight away, as I will need to authorize it.