Friday 4 March 2022

Liam Devlin & Sons Ltd. - (DEV-120/DEV-7) Gaelic Sportstars


1960
(DEV-120/DEV-7) Gaelic Sportstars
Liam Devlin & Sons Ltd.
Ireland
48 cards

There aren't any football cards in this collection, the Football in question is known everywhere outside Ireland as Gaelic Football. Camogie is a version of Hurling for women. I've never seen a complete checklist for this set so I thought I would try and compile one but I haven't been able to complete it, it's only 75% finished. The two cards shown are numbers 1 and 48.
UPDATE (13-03-2022 17:01):  I've been aided by members of the hoganstand.com forum, dedicated to traditional Irish sports like Gaelic football, hurling, Gaelic handball, etc. They have been able to fill a few gaps in my checklist and provide names of a few more that may also feature in the collection. Just four names missing from the checklist.
UPDATE (14-03-2022 16:58):  According to SixtiesKid this checklist now has all 48 sportstars listed, though three names are still missing the card numbers.
UPDATE (19-03-2022 17:53):  This checklist is now complete, O.A.P (Louth) has provided confirmation of card number 32.
UPDATE (28-01-2023 12:54):  I originally had Maired McAtamney as card number 24, a collector then told me that Eileen Naughton is card number 46. Now I've had a comment to say that Maired McAtamney is in this collection. So I've now got two cards listed at number 46. I will try and track down an image of the card.

1.  Mick O'Connell (Football - Co. Kerry)
2.  Tom Long (Football - Co. Kerry)
3.  Seamus Murphy (Football - Co. Kerry)
4.  Gabriel Kelly (Football - Co. Cavan)
5.  Andy Phillips (Football - Co. Wicklow)
6.  John Nallen (Football - Co. Meath)
7.  Jim McKeever (Football - Co. Derry)
8.  P.T. Treacy (Football - Co. Fermanagh)   -   added 12-03-2022  -  thanks to hoganstand.com
9.  Pa Connelly (Football - Co. Kildare)
10.  Frank McFeely (Football - Co. Donegal)   -   added 05-03-2022
11.  Cathal Flynn (Football - Co. Leitrim)
12.  Paddy Doherty (Football - Co. Down)   -   added 12-03-2022
13.  Paddy McCormack (Football - Co. Offaly)
14.  Leo Murphy (Football - Co. Down)   -   added 13-03-2022
15.  Gerry O'Malley (Football - Co. Roscommon)
16.  Bill Casey (Football - Co. Dublin)   -   added 13-03-2022
17.  Fintan Walsh (Football - Co. Laois))
18.  James McCartan (Football - Co. Down)
19.  Jody O'Neill (Football - Co. Tyrone)   -   added 12-03-2022
20.  Matty McDonagh (Football - Co. Galway)
21.  Mick Carley (Football - Co. Westmeath)
22.  Frank Lynch (Football - Co. Louth)
23.  Jimmy Whan (Football - Armagh)   -   added 16-03-2022
24.  Des Foley (Football - Co. Dublin)
25.  Tom Cheasty (Hurling - Co. Waterford)
26.  Martin Og Morrissey (Hurling)
27.  Ollie Walsh (Hurling - Co. Kilkenny)
28.  Billy Dwyer (Hurling - Co. Kilkenny)
29.  John Doyle (Hurling - Co. Tipperary)
30.  Christy Ring (Hurling - Co. Cork)
31.  Mick Cashman (Hurling - Co. Cork)
32.  Jimmy Smyth (Hurling - Co. Clare)   -   added 19-03-2022  -  thanks to hoganstand.com
33.  Tom Neville (Hurling - Co. Wexford)   -   added 13-03-2022  -  thanks to hoganstand.com
34.  Ned Wheeler (Hurling - Co. Wexford)
35.  Liam Devaney (Hurling - Co. Tipperary)
36.  Theo English (Hurling - Co. Tipperary)
37.  Willie Rackard (Hurling - Co. Wexford)
38.  Christy O'Brien (Hurling - Laois)
39.  Joe Salmon (Hurling - Co. Galway)
40.  Willie Hogan (Hurling - Carlow)
41.  John Dowling - Referee (Football - Co. Offaly)
42.  Tom McGarry (Handball - Limerick)   -   added 12-03-2022  -  thanks to hoganstand.com
43.  Joe Delaney (Handball - Kilkenny)   -   added 14-03-2022
44.  Joe Maher (Handball - Louth)
45.  Paul Kelly (Football - Co. Donegal)
46.  Eileen Naughton (Camogie - Galway)   -   amended 01-12-2022  -  thanks to Eamonn McBride
47.  Mary Sinnott (Camogie - Wexford)
48.  Una O'Connor (Camogie - Dublin)

13 comments:

  1. No46 is Eileen Naughton of Galway, I think a few more are wrong, I must check my set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your help. If you could check your set and let me know any errors that would be brilliant.

      Delete
  2. List is correct now, i have thecomplete set in my posession, i dont know if anybody else would have this, there was also another set it 36 cards,coaching Gaelic Football with Joe Lennon which i also have, both sets came out at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I have only four coaching Gaelic football cards. Where can I get the rest in Ireland would you happen to know? Or are there pictures of them you could send me please. Thanking you in advance. Michael R

      Delete
  3. Hi Eamonn,

    Thank you for confirming the checklist is now correct and complete, I've been working on this one for a long time. I have also been working on the checklist for the Right of Wrong? collection for a few decades too and there are still a few cards missing from that one.
    I don't have anything on the Gaelic Football set, I would be happy to include the checklist for that one on my blog too.

    Thanks again for your help,
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maired mcatamney was in the set i had not Eileen Naughton,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the name I used to have at number 46. Could there have been two cards numbered 46?

      Delete
  5. I dont recall. Eileen Naughton, there were only three camogie players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've amended the list again, putting a line through Eileen Naughton. I didn't want to remove the name, just in case.

      Delete
    2. Correct, there were only 3 camogie players,No.46 Eileen Naughton Galway, No.47 Mary Sinnott Wexford and No.48 Una O Connor Dublin, I don’t know where Maureen Mc Atamney is coming from, is there any way I could send you photos of front and back of those 3 cards, I have the complete set in my possession .

      Delete
  6. To Alan Jenkins I can assure you 1000% that No46 was Eileen Naughton of Galway, Maureen McAntamney was not one of the cards, you are welcome to visit my house and I will show you the complete set so you can see for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you have email or what’s app I can send you pictures of front and back of the three camogie players.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for getting in touch again. I've amended the list back to what it should be. I'm sorry for all the confusion. My e-mail address is alanjenkins1899@gmail.com, I'm not on What's App.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment, though it will not appear straight away, as I will need to authorize it.