Tuesday 21 May 2013

Anonymous - Star Badges (Plastic)


1960s
Star Badges (Plastic)
Anonymous
Unknown number

These badges aren't really cartophilic, but I think they are collectable. Most that you find are 'star' shaped, but they came in a wide variety shapes. They were cheap and easy to make. The same player can be found in many different poses. There were probably thousands of different badges issued throughout the late 1950s and most of the 1960s. 

I remember them being on sale outside Ninian Park, but I rarely bought them. I travelled 20 miles to Cardiff and what with admission fees (when you could pay at the turnstile) and programmes, I never had much money for such 'luxuries'.

The collector in me would like to gather photographs or scans of as many of these badges as possible, to record them for posterity in a database. Anyone want to help?

Bobby Charlton (Manchester United) - red Star
Bobby Charlton (Manchester United) - red Pearl
Johnny Dixon (Aston Villa) - claret Diamond
Laurie Brown (Tottenham Hotspur) - blue Star


2 comments:

  1. I have around 50 plastic star badges all Leicester City can I help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like an amazing collection, I've only got a handful of Cardiff City badges. 10 years has passed since I posted this item to my blog. Back then I would have been happy to start compiling a list of these but nobody really provided any assistance at the time. Unfortunately, time has rolled on and I'm not very well these days. I don't think I could I start a new project at the moment, but I appreciate your offer of help. I used to see guys selling these outside Ninian Park in the early 1960's but I never had any money to buy them. Oh for a time machine to go back there and buy up all the badges and then sell them now for 2000% profit.

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment, though it will not appear straight away, as I will need to authorize it.