c.1970
(STA-070/SRM-2-4) Football Clubs & Badges
The Stamp Corner, Doncaster
8 cards
John Levitt has been doing some research into The Stamp Corner release of some cards from the Football Clubs & Badges series. The card shown previously and reproduced here includes an offer on the back that costs 1/-. We both resumed that this set was issued around the time of the other versions by Lambert of Norwich, etc. John has provided a scan of another version where the price has changed to 5p. The first decimal coins appeared in December 1968, 5p and 10p only. The official change from £sd to decimal coinage took place in February 1971.
The other changes include the address and the telephone number. I discovered that STD was introduced in 1958 and progressively rolled out, but this process was not completed until 1979. I have been trying to find out when the Doncaster code went live in the hope of working out when the card with the STD telephone number might have been produced, but I've had no luck with that.
John has also found two other backs that have been rubber-stamped. These have been added to the list but they have not yet been confirmed as being used with the Football Clubs & Badges set.
1/-; address 23 Bowers Fold; telephone number 3623
5p; address 23 Bowers Fold; telephone number 3623
5p; address 27 Scot Lane; telephone number 0302 23623
Rubber Stamped - Blue - 1/- set - unconfirmed
Rubber Stamped - Black - 10p discount - unconfirmed








Hi Alan, it appears as though John has stolen some of my thunder on these as I have been working on these Football Clubs and Badges variants (not just Stamp Corner) for some months and have drafted a lengthy post, so lengthy I was hesitating to send it on to you. I didn't have any images of the stamped backs though so that's useful. I will review what I have and forward it on in a few days hopefully.
ReplyDeleteHi David,
DeleteSounds really interesting, I'll look forward to hearing from you. Please let me know if you think I need to make any alterations.
Cheers,
Alan
Hi Alan, I did send you an email with some images. This was back on 29 July. I am aware you are not always able to pick up on your emails on a regular basis so I am just letting you know something should be in your inbox.
ReplyDeleteHi David,
DeleteI am sorry I haven't been in touch. I am in poor health and a lot of pain, which makes concentration really difficult. Luckily I have plenty of draft posts waiting to be published.
I did read your e-mail, which is excellent, but I wasn't sure what to do with it. I was thinking of just adding it as an update to that post. What do you think? If that's OK with you I thought you might want to make some amendments (or not - I'll let you decide).
I'm sorry for messing you about,
Take care and stay safe,
Alan
Alan, no worries with the delay. Your health is more important. I think you enjoy running this website (in the main) but please do what is best for you. Your work here is very much appreciated.
ReplyDeleteOn the subject of these cards they essentially break down into the 2 main groups: the Lamberts style white back ones, numbered 1-25 with Francis, Mills, Johnny Bunny and blank panel variants; and the grey-backed ones which it now seems are all linked to the Universal Cigarette Card Co Ltd, unnumbered and seemingly limited to just the same 8 teams in all variants (UCC, Assembly House, Stamp Corner, Horsley's Stores and plain grey back plus the larger pairs/triples). Your website currently has multiple listings under Lamberts and also under Universal Cigarette Card Co. So that is perfect, spot on.
I think what is needed in simplest terms is perhaps a new page under Lamberts summarising the white-backed cards with some of the new information I have concluded (quite limited on the white-backed ones) and a link to a new similar page under UCC for all the grey-backed ones. To enable this, I will try to split out my wording I sent you by email into these two groups. Inevitably there should be some overlap in places so I will try to sort that out for you.
I realised when I sent my email it was going to give you a bit of a headache so I will see if I can try and simplify it all in some way. Look out for my new email within the next day or so hopefully.
Look after yourself Alan
Best wishes, David
That would be brilliant David, thank you very much. No rush, but I'll look forward to hearing from you.
DeleteTake care,
Alan