Wednesday 7 September 2022

Sabritas (Mexico) - A que no puedes comer sólo una (2003)


2022
A que no puedes comer sólo una
Sabritas
Mexico
? cards

I can't confirm the validity of this card, which is dated to 2003 on the back. Cristiano Ronaldo started the 2002-03 season in the Sporting Club de Portugal B team but ended the season with 31 appearances and 5 goals for the first team, though failing to score in his three appearances in UEFA competitions. I find it strange that a firm in Mexico would deem him worthy of being included in a set of cards. The card is numbered 28 but I've been unable to find any other cards.
UPDATE (17-05-2023 09:07):  As someone has pointed out, the card number is also his jersey number. It's looking more and more likely that this card was produced in 2022 rather than 2003 and probably has nothing to do with the firm Sabritas, a Mexican brand of potato crisps and other corn snacks.

28.  Cristiano Ronaldo (Sporting CP)

15 comments:

  1. Hey, I run a card shop and had a CR7 collector show me these. Apparently these seem to be extremely rare, since it was a short promotional print. The card came inside a bag of chips so finding one was hard - and in good conditions, even harder. Sabritas is part of the Pepsi family, it’s the same as Lays Chips just in spanish. Super cool collectors piece, there’s only a handful of cards displaying young Cristiano Ronaldo in his rookie years. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this card ready to be graded. It for sure looks mint. This is an extremely rare card that should expect a big fee for as the promotional run was short with limited cards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still find it difficult to accept that a firm in Mexico would know anything about a young Cristiano Ronaldo in 2003. I would need to see some contemporary promotional material regarding the card being a free gift.

      Delete
    2. Hey Alan I will get in touch with Sabritas regarding it. Will let you know the outcome

      Delete
    3. That would be great, thank you. I hope you can understand my reluctance to accept it was issued in 2003. Getting confirmation regarding this card would be brilliant.

      Delete
  3. Has any more information been found about these cards? I've been trying to research but I am unable to find anything myself

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey it’s not number 28 it’s his jersey number

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's probably a one-off and more than likely NOT issued in 2003.

      Delete
  5. I contacted Sabritas who confirmed they do promotional cards of european footballers but couldn't confirm a ronaldo one from 2002/2003 season.
    Sporting were heavily connected to Pepsi who are affiliated with Sabritas.
    I contacted Majesty Grading Company who said they cant slab it because they do not know its legitamacy so have labelled it unlicenced currently.
    That's as far down the rabbit hole I have went, but I have had my card since 2015 so it's not recent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for sharing your research, I'm amazed at how much you've been able to uncover.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yo tengo la de messi y cristiano de sabritas y me las autenficaron la empresa EG las certificadas co nota 7 las dos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      The message translates as:

      I have Messi and Cristiano de Sabritas and they were authenticated by the EG company, both certified with note 7

      Delete

Please feel free to leave a comment, though it will not appear straight away, as I will need to authorize it.