1888
(N88) The Terrors of America and their Doings - Type 2
W. Duke, Sons & Co.
USA
50 cards (1 Football)
Until recently I was unaware of the different versions of these N88 cards. But I have to thank Billyo9999 and morrellman from the Vintage Non-Sports Cards forum for providing information and examples of these larger versions of the N88 cards. I don't know how these cards don't have their own 'N' designation, but collectors seem to be identifying them as 'Type 2' and that works for me. These are slightly larger than the original series, though the images are exactly the same size as the original ones, leaving a border on all four sides which has been utilized with three different designs, each in two different colours. Not enough examples have been seen to say that all cards are available with all six designs. I have only found two versions of the Foot Ball card, so I have included some of the baseball cards and a fishing card to show the other designs.
Other posts relating to this collection can be seen here:
HELP NEEDED: The only item relating to this collection that I am aware of but haven't been able to add to my blog, is the banner produced by W. Duke, Sons & Co. - The Terrors of America Banner, it only shows three of the boys and has been given the designation of G51 in the American Card Catalog. Is anyone able to provide a photo of this banner?
The Terrors of America and their Doings (3¹⁄₁₆" × 1¾") - Thick light blue border
The Terrors of America and their Doings (3¹⁄₁₆" × 1¾") - Thick grey border
The Terrors of America and their Doings (3¹⁄₁₆" × 1¾") - Red frameline
The Terrors of America and their Doings (3¹⁄₁₆" × 1¾") - Blue frameline
The Terrors of America and their Doings (3¹⁄₁₆" × 1¾") - Decorative red framline design top left
The Terrors of America and their Doings (3¹⁄₁₆" × 1¾") - Decorative Blue frameline design top right
"Ain’t she a beauty"
"Clean it for a quarter"
"Extra! Extra!!’
"Get off there (! Do you think I'm a feather bed?)"
"(Go) Hit a fellar yer size"
"I didn’t steal no apples (mister)"
"Knuckle down!" Marbles - "Knuckle down, Shoot hard across the box"
"Let her go slow (, Gallagher!)"
"Line up, back there"
"PLEASE come home (at once, Dicky)"
"Pot a Boilin"
"Watch me hit him" - "Watch him, hit me"
"What a find"
"Wid me one hand"
A Stunt - "Ders a stunt for yer"
A Turkish Bath
Before Election
Big Bite
Boss Whistler - "I'm de Boss Whistler on the block"
Brick in Hat - "Watch him kick it"
("I'm) De Boss of de Gang (you'se kin bet")
Election Night
Fishing - "Help me pull him in"
Foot Ball - "Oh my Shin"
Hide and Seek
In the First Class
Kite Time - "Great Scott! But she's a pullin!!"
Leap Frog - "Come down easy fellers"
Maud S. - "Here's my Maud S."
Me galluses is gone wrong
My New Duds - "Say fellars, them's me new duds"
Out in left field - "Don't drop it, Tommy"
"Out on first! How's that umpire?"
Playing Buffalo Bill - "Just see me la-soo the dude"
("Saturday afternoon, and me a) Playing Nurse
Rabbit Hunting - "Oh! if I ketch that rabbit"
Save the Core
Snow Balling - "Just look at that hat"
Spread the Eagle - "Get onto me - spread de eagle"
Swimming - "Cheese it, the Cop, fellars"
Tappy-on-the-window-pane - "This'll scare em sick"
Thanksgiving Day
The Boss Fighter - "I knocks the stuffin' out of Billy, anyhow"
The Boss Short Stop - "Gee - Whitaker"
The Catcher - "Sock 'em in"
The Dude
The Figure Eight
The Pitcher - "Just watch me twist it"
The Umpire - "Low Ball, Jimmy"
Tug of War - "Pull now boys, altogether"
Thanksgiving Day







No comments:
Post a Comment
Please feel free to leave a comment, though it will not appear straight away, as I will need to authorize it.