Pages

Wednesday, 12 August 2026

A&BC - (AAB-380/ABF-48-2) Footballers - 1970-71 Pin-ups (02) - Ron Davies


1968
(AAB-380/ABF-48-2) Footballers - Pin-ups
A&BC Chewing Gum
14 posters

Steve Hale has been in touch regarding this curiosity from this collection:
This is not an error or a variation, but a curiosity — and, for me as a Saints fan, a frustration.
I have often wondered why Ron Davies’s 1970 A&BC poster (No. 14), does not identify his club, Southampton. It is the only poster in the set to omit a player’s club. At the time, there was frequent speculation that Davies would be transferred for a substantial fee. Perhaps A&BC expected him to leave Southampton before the set reached the shops.
One poster in my collection clearly shows the Southampton team name, which was not fully brushed over. Closer inspection also reveals the white stripes of the Saints shirt. It is the best example I have seen in which the words 'SOUTHAMPTON AND' remain visible. A version with the complete white lettering may exist, although I very much doubt it.
To show what the image originally looked like Steve has provided a photo of the Ron Davies card (No. 83) from the second series of Footballers issued by A&BC in 1969-70 - not shown to scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment, though it will not appear straight away, as I will need to authorize it.